- Frotcom’s Eco-driving module allowed us to lower fuel costs and the number of accidents too.
With Frotcom you already knew where and when your vehicles were travelling. With the Eco-driving module you can also know HOW they are being driven. Driving behaviour is examined constantly. This lets you cut on fuel costs, gas emissions, maintenance costs and road accidents.
Did you know that the difference in fuel consumption using an eco-driving behaviour and an aggressive behaviour can be 30% or more? Did you know that some studies show that the number of road accidents of the vehicles in a fleet can decrease 70% or more by adopting eco-driving practices?
You see the impact this could have on your fleet’s running costs. Now the question is, how do you make sure your vehicles are driven according to eco-driving recommendations?
With Frotcom’s Eco-driving module you will know every step of the way how your vehicles are being driven. Frotcom controls accelerations and braking, idling, speeding and in some cases over revving (RPMs) and cruise control usage.
Here are some of the benefits associated to the use of Frotcom's Eco-driving
- Minimize fuel consumption
Improving driving behaviour can cut your fuel costs significantly. Reductions of 5 to 15% have been reported by many companies.
- Maximize uptime and increase productivity
Whenever your vehicles need maintenance, your activity decreases. By improving driving behaviour, you improve your vehicles' uptime.
- Reduce the probability of road accidents
Road accidents are always bad news but can sometimes be devastating, when lives are involved. By adopting an eco-driving behaviour, drivers are less probable to be involved in accidents. Fewer casualties, lower repair costs and more uptime;
- Help save the planet
Last but not least, you will help the global effort to reduce gas emissions.
How it works
Each time a driver accelerates or brakes harshly, an alert is sent to Frotcom’s data center. Additionally, information about over speeding and over idling (too much time with engine on and no movement) is also collected.
Finally, for CANBus equipped vehicles, Frotcom is able to extract information about over revving (excessive RPMs) and the use of cruise control.
Frotcom then ranks the drivers according to the quantity and duration of these excesses.
You can fine tune the Eco-driving ranking criteria by choosing the weight of the variables above in the final calculation.
Maximize results: train, measure, reward, coach
For best results, follow these steps:
- Explain to your drivers the need for a more economical and ecological driving behaviour; explain the advantages in terms of cost reduction, lower ecological impact, more vehicle uptime and fewer accidents.
- Inform your drivers that driving behaviour will be monitored and reported by Frotcom, in order to detect excesses.
- Train your drivers for eco-driving; if you do not have the expertise inside your own company, there are several companies specialized in professional driving training which can help you.
- On a weekly or monthly basis, check Frotcom’s driving behaviour module and analyze the results.
- Place the names of the best drivers (for example 5 best) on a honour board. Consider rewarding the best driver or the best drivers with some kind of reward, even if symbolic.
- At the same time, help the drivers with the worst driving behaviour in that time period, by holding one to one meetings and showing them exactly what is wrong in their driving pattern and the impact it has on fuel consumption, mechanics, gas emissions and risk of accidents. Always be sure to understand what may have been the reasons for that behaviour. You do not want to be unfair.
- Repeat this every week/month.
- Register the progression in results.